Pre-Winter Furnace Check Up
When it comes to living in Michigan, there’s always something you can do in regards to heating and cooling for your home. Michigan’s winters alone can put quite the stress on your home’s furnace, not only resulting in higher energy bills, but also causing your furnace to work harder throughout the cold season. While there’s plenty you can do around the home to keep warm air in and rely less on your furnace, an annual furnace inspection is always recommended. When winter’s right around the corner, a pre-winter furnace check up is all the more necessary. In doing so, you’ll ensure your furnace is running at peak efficiency, ultimately increasing the comfort within your home and decreasing energy costs.
When it comes time to have your furnace inspected, Applegate Home Comfort can help. We’ve been in the HVAC industry since 1952, servicing all things heating and cooling related for Michigan homeowners. In addition to a pre-winter furnace check up, we can also perform a home energy audit to see which areas of the home are resulting in high energy bills. In the meantime, however, allow us to explain the importance of annual furnace inspections, as well as what you can do to prepare your furnace for winter each year.
Importance of Annual Furnace Inspections
While you may have been told countless times you need to inspect your furnace annually, you may have never been informed exactly why annual inspections are so essential. Aside from ensuring the furnace is functioning properly, annual inspections are also necessary in ensuring safety, reducing the need for repairs, and maintaining your furnace’s warranty. Take a look below for more detail as to why annual furnace inspections are crucial:
- Ensure Safety: Since furnaces utilize fuel, inspections ensure no gas is leaking from the furnace.
- Check Airflow: Without proper airflow, your furnace will have to work harder to keep temps up within the home, ultimately overworking the furnace.
- Reduce Energy Usage: Of course, when a furnace is running at peak efficiency, it’ll require less energy usage, and an inspection will ensure this.
- Extend Warranty: Most warranties will be voided if the manufacturer determines the furnace wasn’t properly taken care.
- Save Time: By ensuring your furnace is functioning properly once a year, you’ll reduce the need for repairs. This holds truer for pre-winter furnace check ups!
Pre-Winter Furnace Check Up and Preparation
The aforementioned annual furnace inspections become all the more important come winter time here in Michigan. Due to the constant frigid temperatures and snowfall, your home’s furnace will have to work harder to keep your home at a comfortable temperature. Add in any issues within the furnace, and it’ll have to work that much harder. All this unnecessary strain will only cause more issues for the furnace, so it’s best to have it inspected before winter hits.
Of course, in addition to having a pre-winter furnace check up performed, you can also run through a series of steps each year to ensure your furnace is prepared for the oncoming winter. See the list below for a list of tips:
- Change the filter. Aside from doing so before winter, you should replace the filter every few months.
- Place a chimney balloon inside the chimney to prevent air from escaping.
- Ensure the burners of your furnace of cleared of debris.
- Monitor the thermostat to ensure it’s functioning properly.
- Make sure the heating vents throughout your home are completely exposed (unblocked by furniture).
Be sure to check out our list of tips to winterize your home as well!
Prepare for Winter with Applegate Home Comfort
As winter approaches each year, it’s recommended you have your pre-winter furnace check up performed. The experts at Applegate can come and inspect your furnace, as well as perform a home energy audit to ensure you’re saving on energy costs.
If you’re interested in our services, be sure to contact us today. You can also give us a call at 517-337-7700.